I have taken the letters in HoHoHo and turned them on their side! That is the design element behind my newest 3D tree design. This easy to make project creates a stunning centerpiece when arranged in groups. The cutting file includes the tree in 2 different sizes however you can stretch it to any size to create variety.
HoHoHo Tree Tutorial:
Tutorial assembled using Silhouette Software Release 2.7.18. This tutorial assumes you already know how to use the Silhouette and Silhouette software. It can be cut on both Cameo and Portrait Silhouette machines.
- Template from Silhouette On-Line Store here (Coming soon).
- Glue dots 3/16"
- Paper Glue
- Silhouette Cameo or Portrait
- Card Stock in red and green
- Small binder clips
Steps for completing the HoHoHo Tree project:1. Download the cutting file for your Silhouette Cutting machine from the Silhouette Online Store here.
- Copy and paste one tree file into a new file and cut 3 times from green card stock.
- Copy and paste the smaller tree into a new file and cut 3 times from green card stock.
- Copy and paste the bases and stars into a new file and cut from red card stock.
- Each tree is made from 3 matching trees, 1 base and 3 stars.
3. Assemble the tree.
- Apply paper glue to the tips of all letters on ONE edge of one tree. Don't go in further than 1/4" from the edge.
- Place a second tree on top and press together. Allow to dry.
- Once dry, turn back the top tree from the open side and apply glue to the first couple of tips again only going in about 1/4"
- Place the third tree against them working it between the two trees already together. They will bow apart.
- Quickly added tiny binder clips to hold them in place while the glue dries.
- It is easiest to work a few ends at a time on each side and slowly move up the tree.
- You can move to the other edge and glue the first group of letters together and clip those as well.
- Look at the tips of the trees and you will notice a dotted fold line. Fold just the tip in half bending out.
- Proceed gluing up the two sides of the tree.
- Only do a couple of branches and then clip them. The goal is to get the clips in place before the glue starts setting to get a good bind.
- Proceed up the two sides together, a few branches at a time until you reach the tip.
- Glue the three tips together.
- Allow the tree to dry and then remove all the binder clips.
- Fold the 3 stars in half along the dotted fold line.
- Attach them to the point, one on each side using glue.
- Clip to hold until the glue dries.
- Curl the base into a circle and use glue dots to hold. The circle is to fit inside the base of the tree.
- Use glue dots to attach the base to the three green trees.
- Make sure you keep it square as you attach it.
And then make the other one to go along, or a few more to create a festive forest!
© 2013 Marji Roy, Ashbee Design
Sharing this post at some of these link parties. They are worth checking out for other ideas.
Motivate Me Monday, Mop It Up Monday, Alderberry Hill, Metamorphis Monday, Tuesday Treasures,Today's Creative Blog, A Bowl Full of Lemons, Not Just a House Wife, The Inspiration Board, Romancing on a Dime, DIY Dreamer, Whatever Goes Wednesday, Transformation Thursday, House of Hepworths, Craftberry Bush, Jennifer Rizzo, One Artsy Mama, Craftionary, Flaunt in Friday, Tater Tots and Jello, Show and Tell Saturday, DIY Showoff, I Gotta Try That, Kathe With an E, The Girl Creative